What are you watching right now?

• This message board permanently closed on June 30th, 2020 at 4PM EDT and is no longer accepting new members.

skimom2

Just moseyin' through...
Oct 9, 2013
USA
ALMOST caught up on This Is Us. Gads. Such a good show.

ALMOST finished season 3 of Fear the Walking Dead. Much better than Season 2. I loathe Madison (FINALLY LEARNED HER NAME!) and hope she gets eaten soon.

The Walking Dead is back. So far so good.

I, Zombie is also back. This is one that totally snuck up on me! I first watched it just to see the episodes with Arthur from Merlin (and his performance is still the best one the show has produced,) but I got hooked. Brainless entertainment (WAH-wah :D ), but I like it.

Gerald

Sep 8, 2011
The Netherlands
I'm watching a lot of Persuaders (or The Persuaders! with an exclamation mark as it says in the credit sequence - which has a great theme by John Barry), which stars Roger Moore and Tony Curtis.
Was this ever broadcast in the US? Because it's so British.
Terry Nation, who is best known for Doctor Who, wrote a lot of the stories. It's about the very American Danny Wilde (Curtis), who grew up fighting in the streets and later became a millionaire through oil and Wall street, and whose personality is quite rash and direct; and the very British Lord Brett Sinclair (Moore), who is more reserved and aloof and was born into his wealth. Obviously it pokes constant fun at the differences between the two. Although initially hostile towards each other, they are brought together against their knowing, by an old judge who wants to use them to see justice done in cases when the conventional ways fail.

The stories are your basic spy stories: double identities, secret formulas, that sort of thing. Often they're not that strong and leave ends dangling, but the show is essentially a vehicle for Curtis and Moore - the stories are just an excuse to have them square off against each other in friendly rivalry.
The series takes place both at luxurious, exotic jetset locations all over the world (it looks like they had quite the budget because a lot of it is done on great looking locations), but also at more typically English settings like London and old countryhouses. In supporting roles there are other familiar faces, like Joan Collins or Bernard Lee (best known as M in the Bond series).
What I also like in a series like this is the use of day-for-night: nightshots which were filmed during daytime, but never truly feel like night, but more like a kind of unnatural twilight.

You can see the progression of this from an earlier, similar Moore show, The Saint. That was in black&white, this is in colour. The Saint also looks mainly studio, while Persuaders is a lot on location. And also the action is much better, with Persuaders having quite extensive car chases and much better fistfights - it looks like they hardly had a fight coordinator on The Saint: fights look very clumsy and improvised.
I'd recommend both though, for fans of Moore, whose character from The Saint to Persuaders to James Bond is essentially very similar.

Last edited:

fljoe0

Cantre Member
Apr 5, 2008
120 miles S of the Pancake/Waffle line
Silicon Valley just started season 5 on Sunday. This show is hilarious.

I didn't notice this is the opening credits so I'm going to have to go back and look

Blink and you might have missed it. In the opening credits, as the screen pans through a bustling animated scene of the Silicon Valley area, as it has done for the last four seasons, it shows the logos and company headquarters of businesses like Pinterest, Oracle, YouTube, and the fictional company Hooli. But look closely and you’ll notice something different with the Facebook logo. The lettering switches from the signature white Klavika font to Cyrillic lettering that resembles Russian text. It isn’t actually Russian, but a clever use of lettering to make it both recognizable as the word Facebook, yet appear to be Russian text. The sneaky jab seems to subtly reference the controversy surrounding Facebook’s purported role in influencing the 2016 presidential election.

skimom2

Just moseyin' through...
Oct 9, 2013
USA
I tried Damien, but I dunno. Bradley James is very good in this as Damien and I liked the flashbacks to the original Gregory Peck movie, but the writing is pretty bad.

I'm keeping up with iZombie and watching the occasional The Gifted with my son, but that's about it.

danie

I am whatever you say I am.
Feb 26, 2008
Kentucky
Better Call Saul—just started season three. Please, if you’ve watched Breaking Bad, watch BCS; you will LOVE this show. Bob Odenkirk is so great; well, everyone on the show is.

Also have started Last Tango in Halifax and really am enjoying it. It’s created by Sally Wainwright who created Happy Valley. Actress Sarah Lancashire, whom I love, is in both shows.

skimom2

Just moseyin' through...
Oct 9, 2013
USA
Better Call Saul—just started season three. Please, if you’ve watched Breaking Bad, watch BCS; you will LOVE this show. Bob Odenkirk is so great; well, everyone on the show is.

Also have started Last Tango in Halifax and really am enjoying it. It’s created by Sally Wainwright who created Happy Valley. Actress Sarah Lancashire, whom I love, is in both shows.
I liked Happy Valley a lot, so I'll definitely look into Last Tango. Thanks!

kingricefan

All-being, keeper of Space, Time & Dimension.
Jul 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Any one watched the new rosanne? I liked it. I think I get the hummor as an adult. I whanted to see the mom. I always loved Darlene and Jackie, and it was good to,see them back
I was just going to start a thread on the new Roseanne series but saw your post. Yes, I watched it and I loved every minute of it!!!! This show really does portray how most Americans live and struggle from paycheck to paycheck, with all of the ups and downs that go along with living on the edge. I'm not sure how I'll like it if they keep referencing the political atmosphere of the country right now though. I hope they don't bring in the political stuff too much. There's lots of other story lines they can go with (Darlene's son likes to dress in girl clothes, Becky wants to be a surrogate Mom, etc.). I didn't realize how much I missed seeing the show until last night. I'm happy it's back!!

Hill lover35

Jan 8, 2017
Alberta canada
I was just going to start a thread on the new Roseanne series but saw your post. Yes, I watched it and I loved every minute of it!!!! This show really does portray how most Americans live and struggle from paycheck to paycheck, with all of the ups and downs that go along with living on the edge. I'm not sure how I'll like it if they keep referencing the political atmosphere of the country right now though. I hope they don't bring in the political stuff too much. There's lots of other story lines they can go with (Darlene's son likes to dress in girl clothes, Becky wants to be a surrogate Mom, etc.). I didn't realize how much I missed seeing the show until last night. I'm happy it's back!!

We should start a new thread so that we can discuss each epesiode, amd speculate

Hill lover35

Jan 8, 2017
Alberta canada

I loved it, it’s like I am re-discovering the show the first time, this time as an adult. I did not really get the original as I was a kid at the time, and only watched in repeats once in a while as an adult. But I really enjoyed it. I did not mind the politics as it is makes scense wiht the characters. If they keep on going wiht it that will get annoying. But I loved seeing Darlene and her kids. I am glad that the original actress is back playing Becky. I loved dan when they where all in the kitchen and he lost it when they mentioned eating the placenta. Ewww and dan was right. I loved how Roseanne handelled the bully’ in the class. That was gold.

Still not a fan of her laugh though

Neesy

#1 fan (Annie Wilkes cousin) 1st cousin Mom's side
May 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
I never watched the original series but I heard good reviews of the new show. Maybe I’ll watch it later ( it’s recorded)

Hill lover35

Jan 8, 2017
Alberta canada

I always thought mark and Becky had a baby? Am I wrong?

Neesy

#1 fan (Annie Wilkes cousin) 1st cousin Mom's side
May 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
I loved it, it’s like I am re-discovering the show the first time, this time as an adult. I did not really get the original as I was a kid at the time, and only watched in repeats once in a while as an adult. But I really enjoyed it. I did not mind the politics as it is makes scense wiht the characters. If they keep on going wiht it that will get annoying. But I loved seeing Darlene and her kids. I am glad that the original actress is back playing Becky. I loved dan when they where all in the kitchen and he lost it when they mentioned eating the placenta. Ewww and dan was right. I loved how Roseanne handelled the bully’ in the class. That was gold.

Still not a fan of her laugh though
Just watched the first two episodes- it was pretty good :grinning:

Blake

Deleted User
Feb 18, 2013
last night: Godzilla, kill all monsters, Mike Hammer(Stach Keach, 1997, episode ( Stephen King reference in this episode)( I have the complete series for the 1984-88 and 1997 series as I like Keach as an actor and both series wouldn't be now made under the PC environment with fake women who pretend to be outraged. How patronizing to lump all women as victims. They are so hard done by by males. My mother couldn't do to the Conservertorm of Music here cause they didn't have the money because her father left home (he did a King father thing) in 1937 when my mother was 10. All these up themselves women with their cell phone i want to smash in the face.