This message board permanently closed on June 30th, 2020 at 4PM EDT and is no longer accepting new members.
Holy moly, ghost19... you have more lives than all of my past, present and future(?) cats all put together!I managed to scrape most of the burnt gunky off and cleaned it up, mostly cleaning off the CO2 from the fire extinguisher was the hard part, and off the house, and the patio, Tam's garden fence.....she was very thorough with the fire extinguisher, but here's a tip, they don't work on propane fires unless you're able to shut off the source of the gas. I was in the back of the house, Tamara went out to warm up the grill, while she made up the hamburger patties, she does the grilling for obvious reasons that most know here. About 10 minutes after she went outside, I hear her yelling, but my house is brick and it's hard to hear anyone when they're outside especially when I was all the way back in our bedroom. I finally heard her, ran into the kitchen, my kitchen window overlooks our patio, and I saw flames at the same height as the window which is about 7 feet high off the patio. Apparently, we're not sure what happened, but there was a leak in the gas hose running from the grill to the tank somewhere. When Tam hit the igniter button for the first burner, it sent a huge spark that ignited the gas that had leaked from the tank. She didn't get burned, luckily it kind of blew off to the side but it scared her, so she ran back into the house, grabbed the fire extinguisher without saying a word, ran out and went to work, but then it didn't help so she started yelling. I ran outside, saw that the flames were getting pretty high, told Tamara to get in the house, about that time, both Daniel and Aidan came walking out onto the patio to see what the commotion was. I yelled at all three of them to stop gawking and get into the living room, my thinking was there would be a total of a brick wall, and two other walls between the tank and them if it blew. My garden hose is right beside the grill, turned it on full blast and started hosing down the propane tank. You have to cool it down so you can turn off the source of the gas, that's what Tamara couldn't get to because of the flame. So, I hosed it down for about 30 seconds, got the flames knocked down enough where I could see the valve, didn't think to put on any gloves, no time, and turned it off with one hand while keeping the cold water spraying on it so my fingers didn't get too singed, they got singed, but not bad. After that, just kept hosing the tank down hoping it wouldn't blow before it got cooled down enough. It didn't...lol. Meanwhile, Tam had called the fire department, so about......20 minutes after it was all over, they showed up and we all had a big laugh about it. They told me kudos for trying to put it out instead of running away because it could have blown pretty big, it was a brand new propane tank I had bought for the new grill. The fire melted the gas regulator hose assembly into black goo and the propane tank kept leaking gas for another couple of hours until it finally ran out. Another day at Hill House.....lmao.
I was amazed at how much CO2 is in a small fire extinguisher, more amazed that after sitting under my kitchen sink for 16 years it still worked...lol
Our whole patio, grill, steps, side of the house was coated in flame retardant....lol, it was a mess to clean up. I told Tamara if she didn't want me to have a new grill, there wasn't any cause to set it on fire, a simple "I'm jealous of your new grill" would have sufficed I told her. She's still mad at me, told me I'm lucky I didn't get killed and that it was NOT funny....lol. There's always a funny side.....you just have to be deranged enough to see it...lol
Flake, what the devil is going on, the board is open?
Yes the volunteer mods will be covering until Tuesday, if things got out of hand though I think Jordan would just come in and shut it back down.Oh my ... well then ...
Just another learning experience....lol.