It was interesting (to me, anyway--lol) how much Mr. King's writing has changed in the years since THE SHINING. The basics haven't changed (true characterization, plotting, etc.), but the execution definitely shows maturity.Just finished Dr.Sleep and it was great visiting with Danny again. I always wonded about what happened to him later. Now I want to revisit The Shining (for the 5th time).
Oh right, just checking.... Um let's see.... actually first I should check whether you're basing things specifically around story content (what happened and to whom) or whether it is more based around writing style etc?Yes I have, trying to get some ideas for good discussion questions.
Thanks, appreciate it but I am curious to hear what you thought was funny in Dr. Sleep.Stephen King has written in Danse Macabre that "humor and horror lie side by side, and that to deny one is to deny the other." We should probably credit that babysitter from Wisconsin who locked four-year-old Stephen in the closet, the same one who planted his head on the couch, planted her ample bottom on his head, and proceeded to fart. He tells us that although the experience was horrible, it was also funny. How is this same idea illustrated in Doctor Sleep?
I've read a number...or maybe only one...thread/posts to do with Daniel Torrence's rock-bottom...as in...he could of should of would of...prevented this that the other. Could he have? Or was that only...hindsight...which really, was more than hindsight given Daniel's sight. What was Daniel's rock-bottom and should other things have bothered him more?
This one they'd have to have read The Shining. Jack was a man more sinned against than sinning. In what way is Daniel different? Would you say that he is the...complete opposite? That he carries guilt...the guilt of others? Would that be going too far?
Okay, here are a few... in no particular order:Story content would be great!
Thanks, appreciate it but I am curious to hear what you thought was funny in Dr. Sleep.
Appreciate your input. It will be a lively discussion! Love Stephen King and am thrilled to be hosting this book for my club!
- The event that plagued Dan to do w/the drugs & leaving town.
- The description of Dan in the truck on the way to Colorado.
- Billy Freeman is funny, as is Concetta, Loretta, as are others from time to time.
- The Overlook ghosts are funny...at times and to a degree.
- When Dan confesses, the reaction he got, the reaction he expected...that was funny.
- When the Knot and Andi are in the theatre and one of the Knot is as interested in the movie...that was funny.
- When one of the Knot is in the head of another and the other yells and the reaction...that is funny.
- Some of the description of the Knot is funny...the description tells how they blend, what they acquire to do so.
- The description of the Knot at the Kozy Kampground, the description of the owners before/after...funny.
- "Circling the drain"...that is funny.
Hi twingles3 - are you suggesting we should do your homework for you? Just tell the teacher the dog ate your homework - it always worked in the past!